The Sands ECO360 Global Sustainability program reflects our vision to become a leader in sustainable development and resort operations. We developed Sands ECO360 around the four pillars below by identifying areas with the greatest environmental impact and opportunity.
Find out more about our four pillars
The Sands ECO360 strategy is integrated across the entire business and given prominence at the highest levels of governance. The President and Chief Operating Officer has overall responsibility for Sands ECO360. The Senior Vice President, Chief Procurement and Sustainability Officer leads the Global Sustainability Department, which develops and implements the strategy.
Property sustainability departments execute the sustainability strategy and identify future opportunities. Established Green Teams champion sustainability programs in various departments such as Facilities, Hotel Operations, Food and Beverage, Casino Operations, Purchasing, Sales, Convention and Catering Services, and Human Resources.
Our key issues
Our strategy is based on the environmental issues identified as being of most importance to our business, our stakeholders and to society. We monitor and evaluate issues pertaining to our Sands ECO360 strategy through regular interaction with internal and external stakeholders across our business globally.
Our strategic journey
Sands ECO360: Our achievements at a glance
Since the establishment of the Sands ECO360 program, we have worked to put sustainability at the heart of everything we do. We have not only built better, greener buildings, but also raised the standards for the resorts we already operate. Resource conservation and recycling have been integrated into our daily work.
Sands ECO360 has allowed us to offer better sustainable meeting services, and enabled us to contribute more to the communities around us. With our strategy as our compass, we have made real progress on a global scale.
- Integrated LEED1 Green Building standards into the development of The Palazzo Las Vegas.
1 The U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED® green building program is the pre-eminent program for the design, construction, maintenance and operations of high-performance green buildings. Learn more at usgbc.org/LEED.
- Launched Sands ECO360 Global Sustainability program.
- Initiated energy reduction efforts in Las Vegas to improve operational efficiency and achieved LEED Gold® for Existing Buildings certification for The Venetian and Sands Expo in Las Vegas (the largest hotel in the world to receive this certification).
- Revised the Sands ECO360 strategy to focus on four pillars, and developed Sands ECO360 Roadmap and reporting systems (ECO Tracker and Action Plan).
- Set 5-year sustainability goals.
- Launched Clean the World amenities recycling partnership in Las Vegas.
- Started energy reduction efforts at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore, and Sands China Ltd., Macao.
- Launched Sands ECO360 Green Meetings Program.
- Saved 32.5 million kWh through efficiency projects globally.
- Released 2011 Sands ECO360 Report (first environmental report by a gaming company verified by GRI).
- Upgraded Sands ECO360 Green Meetings Program.
- Measured and verified our carbon inventory, and conducted first CDP Climate Change response.
- Launched the first Sands Sustainable Procurement Policy.
- Began publication of the Sands ECO360 Quarterly Newsletter.
- Newsweek ranking jumped to #128 from #238 in the U.S.
- Launched the Sands ECO360 Sustainable Development Standards.
- Saved 47.3 million kWh through efficiency projects globally.
- Sponsored Clean the World to set up a recycling facility for Macao and Hong Kong.
- Achieved CDP Climate Disclosure Leadership Index (CDLI).
- Saved 112.5 million kWh through efficiency projects globally.
- Integrated sustainability into new developments: The St. Regis and The Parisian in Macao.
- Implemented an energy dashboard to streamline energy tracking, reporting, and management.
- Newsweek Green Rankings – 18th in the U.S. and 28th globally.
- Incorporated sustainability into remodel and renovation projects.
- Developed 3-year plan for water and energy conservation projects at all properties and identified promising new technologies.
- Saved 54.9 million kWh through global efficiency projects.
- Updated green meeting strategy to focus on added value to our clients.
- 99A ranking in CDP, achieved both disclosure (CDLI) and performance (Climate A List) leadership indices.
- Listed on Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) North America.
- Developed strategic plan for 2016–2020.