OUR STRATEGY >
Meetings and conventions are an integral part of the Las Vegas Sands business model. Established in 2011, the Sands ECO360 Meetings Program was created to support forward-thinking clients in making their events more sustainable, using three simple steps:
The journey of our Green Meetings Program
- Launched Sands ECO360 Meetings Program in Las Vegas.
- Appointed dedicated Green Meeting Concierges.
- Developed Sands ECO360 Impact Statement.
- Created property-specific Planning Tools.
- Established volunteering programs for attendees.
- Expanded Sands ECO360 meetings to properties in Asia.
- Trained 300 Team Members globally.
APEX/ASTM Environmentally Sustainable Meeting Standards Certification:
- Las Vegas – Venue Level 2 (first in the world)
- Marina Bay Sands in Singapore – Venue Level 1 (first outside of the U.S.).
- Marina Bay Sands in Singapore and The Venetian Macao achieved ISO 20121 Event Sustainability Management Systems Certification.
- Sands China Ltd. received the IMEX-GMIC Green Supplier Award.
- Hosted more than 100 sustainable events across our properties globally.
- Marina Bay Sands in Singapore recevied the IMEX-GMIC Green Supplier Award.
- Sands Expo in Las Vegas established a surplus food donation program with Three Square Food Bank.
- Held Sands ECO360 Meetings Program strategic planning workshop to set the direction for upcoming years.
The Venetian, The Palazzo, and Sands Expo, Las Vegas
IMEX America is one of our most sustainable annual events, thanks to our shared strategic vision and disciplined execution. Together we challenge ourselves to achieve better results and drive innovations, by implementing initiatives to reduce the event’s environmental footprint and encouraging attendees to give back to the local community.
We have focused on four important areas:
- Waste diversion – We have steadily improved how waste is dealt with at IMEX America, including increasing donations of surplus materials and reducing the quantity of food waste generated.
- Sustainable food – Sourcing sustainable food is a challenge for us, and we have worked closely with IMEX America to find solutions, using local and regional food, and offering alternative food produced with less water.
- Community engagement – We have acted as a liaison between IMEX and local charities, and sponsored several Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives.
- Health and wellness – With a new focus for the event, IMEX helped attendees feel refreshed and revived throughout the show.
“The IMEX journey with Sands has been an incredibly exciting one. Who knew five years ago we would be able to achieve so much in a relatively short period of time. With collaboration among IMEX, Sands and our consultant MeetGreen, we advance the sustainability efforts of the event every year.”
Knowledge and Events Director, IMEX Group
Responsible Business Forum
Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
The Responsible Business Forum on Sustainable Development is an annual platform for leaders and sustainability professionals to share their stories, engage with key stakeholders, and agree on future actions. Marina Bay Sands in Singapore has hosted this event since 2013, working with the organizers to plan their logistics and operations, and ensure that together we reduce the event’s environmental footprint and contribute to the local community.
- 2013 – Standard practices from the Sands ECO360 Green Meetings Program were implemented, including waste recycling, hosting the Soap for Hope CSR event, developing a vegetarian menu sourced from local and regional food, and measuring food waste per attendee.
- 2014 – Sustainable seafood was introduced to the awards’ dinner menu, and the event’s power consumption was live-streamed by energy partner Kiwi Power. Initiatives implemented won the 2014 IMEX-GMIC Green Meeting Award.
- 2015 – We were named the Event Sustainability Partner by the Forum and joined its advisory committee to share our knowledge and commitment to sustainable development.
Macao ECO TrailHiker
Sands China Ltd. has supported the Macao TrailHiker since 2010. TrailHiker aims to promote healthy lifestyles and build team spirit, while exploring the greener side of Macao and learning about sustainability. Green initiatives have been incorporated into the event’s planning process since the 2013 launch of our Sands ECO360 Meetings Program in Macao.
- 171 pairs of shoes were collected from participants and our Team Members to donate to underprivileged people in the Philippines.
- Sustainable food was served at the event, including local, organic, vegetarian, and sustainable seafood options.
- 2,180 people participated in the event, raising over USD50,000 for the Macao Special Olympics and The Macao Association for the Mentally Handicapped.